We live in an increasingly noisy world. Besides the obvious effects on hearing loss, excessive noise levels contribute to hypertension, high-stress, tinnitus, and sleep disturbances. Modern transportation methods, especially aircraft, are on a mission to quiet the noise. In addition to the roar of the jet engines, other sources of noise in the aircraft cabin include the air conditioning system, peripheral equipment, vibration, as well as the inevitable wind noise. The noise level in the aircraft cabin at takeoff and landing can reach as high as 105 decibels (dB) and 85dB at cruising altitudes. Noise levels higher than 90 dB, maintained for eight hours or more can cause permanent hearing loss, not to mention being a major source of stress in an environment where creating and maintaining a calm environment is paramount not only to passenger satisfaction, but also to flight safety. It is no wonder that noise abatement is a growing area of focus and concern in the manufacture of modern aircraft.
Aerospace manufacturers, like manufacturers in most industries, are under pressure to increase profitability and reduce the cost of doing business. Aerospace OEM and MRO companies have the added challenge of remaining compliant with FAA regulations and ISO certification requirements.
Aircraft engineers are pressed for designs and materials that will improve aerodynamics and decrease aircraft weight. Honeycomb structure panels have proven to be an excellent lightweight construction material for aircraft interiors.
When you think of adhesive tape, you probably think of it as one of the quickest and most effective ways to attach two items. While this observation is certainly correct, there are many other jobs adhesive tapes can do. Adhesive material innovations have resulted in a wide array of unexpected benefits and advantages that tape can offer. Specialized tape characteristics and custom converting have made finding a tailor-made bonding solution possible in many industries.
Engineers in a wide range of industries are solving problems and simplifying assemblies using adhesive tapes. Adhesive tapes have proven to be highly effective in joining dissimilar materials, replacing mechanical fasteners, and improving overall speed and productivity in a number of processes. In most cases, adhesive tapes are simpler, cleaner, and faster to apply than other bonding or fastening options.
When considering adhesives, bonding surface is a critical factor. Unlike processes that alter and join surfaces, such as welding, bonding with adhesives involves attaching two surfaces, without changing their individual characteristics. That being the case, the adhesive selected must be appropriate for the surfaces involved in the application.
High Performing - No Primer Needed
Introducting 3M's new high-performance acrylic foam tape, a 1.14 mm thick, dark gray, double-coated acrylic foam tape designed for the attachment of automotive exterior trim parts – without the use of adhesion promoter. A versatile solution addressing automotive industry’s need for a high-performing tape for low and medium surface energy substrates and a variety of paints without the need for primer, flame treatment, corona treatment, or other primer treatment while withstanding a significant amount of stress.
What that means for you:
- Less sensitive to cold temperatures, making the product suitable for the “just-in-time” business model used by many automotive manufacturers
- Potential elimination of concerns associated with using primer such as labor cost and equipment investments, as primer is not required with this tape
- Designed to enable a total system cost-savings
- Good initial tack to improve throughput time and increase confidence level in robustness of application
- Excellent adhesive performance for medium surface energy paints, with initial data showing promising performance on difficult paints
- Either side of the tape can be applied to paint or low and medium surface energy plastics, allowing elimination of liner exchange processing during converting and reducing the potential for improper application of the part
- Unique foam core provides stress relaxation when high application loads are encountered, while maintaining tight bond-line aesthetics under normal conditions.
For more information, check out 3M Acrylic Foam Tape
Do you need an adhesive to bond to almost any substrate within the automotive industry?
- Bonds almost to any substrate
- Wide range of adhesive types
- Works with any heat source
- Makes your process faster
- Removes VOCs
- Reduces disposal costs